Saturday, April 25, 2009

In Need of Pardon



“O Most Glorious God, in Jesus Christ, my merciful and loving Father;
I acknowledge and confess my guilt in the weak
and imperfect performance of the duties of this day.
I have called on Thee for pardon and forgiveness of my sins,
but so coldly and carelessly that my prayers are become my sin,
and they stand in need of pardon.”
“ I have sinned against heaven and before Thee in thought, word, and deed.
I have contemned Thy majesty and holy laws.
I have likewise sinned by omitting what I ought to have done
and committing what I ought not.
I have rebelled against the light, despising Thy mercies and judgment,
and broken my vows and promise.
I have neglected the better things.
My iniquities are multiplied
and my sins are very great.
I confess them, O Lord, with shame and sorrow, detestation and loathing
and desire to be vile in my own eyes
as I have rendered myself vile in Thine.
I humbly beseech Thee to be merciful to me in the free pardon of my sins
for the sake of Thy dear Son and only Savior Jesus Christ
who came to call not the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
Thou gavest Thy Son to die for me.”

"Make me to know what is acceptable in Thy sight,
and therein to delight, open the eyes of my understanding,
and help me thoroughly to examine myself
concerning my knowledge, faith, and repentance,
increase my faith, and direct me to the true object,
Jesus Christ the Way, the Truth, and the Life, ..."


A Portion of George Washington's personal prayers

2 comments:

  1. The line about my prayers becoming cold and careless and therefore sin cut me to the quick.

    ReplyDelete

I love appropriate comments. Comments that contain coarse or vulgar language will be rejected. You may rephrase the comment and try again.